FAQ – Contacting UI, employment questions.#Employment #questions

FAQ – Contacting UI

File a claim for UI benefits or extension for UI benefits using one of the following methods:

  • File online with eApply4UI: The application can be completed online. Answers to questions are entered online. After the application is completed, the individual submits it online to the Department. Note: This is the fastest way to file your claim.
  • Contact EDD by telephone: Individuals will speak to a department representative who will ask a series of questions and record the responses.
  • Complete a paper Unemployment Insurance Application (DE 1101I): The application can be completed online and printed. The application can then be faxed or mailed to an EDD office for processing.

Note: The above options may also be used to reactivate an existing claim or file for extended benefits.

If you stop filing your weekly claims (even possibly for one week), your UI claim becomes inactive. If you want to start claiming again, you must first reopen your claim by re-applying for UI benefits. You can reopen your claim any time during your 52-week benefit year for regular UI claims. If your benefit year has ended, you must apply for a new claim.

You may be eligible to reopen an existing federal extension claim if you have a balance remaining and do not monetarily qualify for regular UI benefits.

You may reopen your claim or file a new claim using the EDD s online application, eApply4UI, or you may call our toll-free phone number and speak to a claims specialist who will reopen your claim or file a new claim. The process for reopening your claim is the same process used to file a new claim. Once you submit your UI application, the EDD will determine whether you will be reopening an existing claim or filing a new claim.

A new or reopened claim takes effect the Sunday of the week you contact the EDD. This means you must contact the EDD during the first week you want to claim benefits. Once you reopen your claim or file a new claim, a Continued Claim form for the following two weeks will be issued to you.

The best way to get answers to your unemployment questions is to:

Employment Development Department

PO Box 826880 UIPCD, MIC 40

Benefit payment information is available using our automated telephone system and you will need a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access your information. You create your PIN using the automated telephone system.

Payment information is available Monday through Saturday from 6 a.m. to midnight and Sunday from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. (All times are Pacific Time.)

If you have not received your payment or any response from EDD within 10 days of submitting your Continued Claim certification, contact EDD.

When our telephone systems receive too many calls the telephone network becomes temporarily overloaded. If that occurs, you will hear a message that states, We are currently receiving more calls than our system can handle. Please try again later. This tends to happen between 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., and is also likely to occur on our busiest days (Mondays, and days after a holiday).

Once you have reached our telephone system, and you make the menu selections to speak to a representative, the system routes your call to the location with the shortest wait time. However, if it appears that your call cannot be answered within 10 minutes because of the number of callers already waiting, you will hear a message advising you to call back later. To avoid this possibility, you may want to call on Wednesday or Thursday, which are our least busy days.

Statewide increased demand for UI services, seasonal fluctuations and holidays contribute to a longer wait time when calling the Department. We understand that your time is valuable and EDD is making every effort to shorten the time you must wait for service.

You can avoid telephone wait time by using one of our online applications to file your claim.

There are four ways you can report an address or phone number change:

  1. Online: The fastest and easiest way to update your address or phone number is through UI Online SM . Any updates you make through UI Online SM will take effect immediately. You can update your contact information using UI Online SM 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  2. Mail – Continued Claim Form: On the bi-weekly certification, Continued Claim Form, DE 4581, mark the box on question 8, and complete Section D on the reverse side of form. Claimants who wish to change their address cannot do so while using EDD Tele-Cert SM certification method.
  3. Phone: You can also report an address or phone number change by phone. Contact UI and we will change your address while you re on the phone. To protect your privacy, be prepared to provide claim verification information.
  4. Mail – Letter: Write us a letter and include the following information:
    • Your name
    • Social Security number
    • New address and/or phone number
    • Your signature

About Author:

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *