#commonly asked interview questions
Top 20 Job Interview Questions and Answers
By Alison Doyle. Job Searching Expert
Welcome to About.com Job Search, led by Alison Doyle. Alison has been the job search expert for About.com since 1998.
Alison Doyle is one of the industry’s most highly-regarded career experts, with all the know-how to help you with job searching, interview skills, resumes, cover letters, personal branding, social networking, leaving your job, employment trends, and even more!
Get The Doyle Report
Sign up for the best job search and career tips and advice from Alison, delivered straight to your inbox.
Connect With Alison
You don t need to memorize an answer, but do review these common interview questions so you know what you ll be asked and have an idea of how you will respond.
This advance preparation will help you feel more confident and less on the spot during the interview.
Top 20 Interview Questions
Review the top 20 interview questions you ll most likely be asked at a job interview, plus the best answers. Also, review the other questions you may be asked, so you re prepared to ace the interview.
- What were your responsibilities? – Best Answers
- What did you like or dislike about your previous job? – Best Answers
- What were your starting and final levels of compensation? – Best Answers
- What major challenges and problems did you face? How did you handle them? – Best Answers
- What is your greatest strength? – Best Answers
- What is your greatest weakness? – Best Answers
- How do you handle stress and pressure? – Best Answers
- Describe a difficult work situation / project and how you overcame it. – Best Answers
- What was the biggest accomplishment / failure in this position? – Best Answers
- How do you evaluate success? – Best Answers
- Why are you leaving or have left your job? – Best Answers
- Why do you want this job? – Best Answers
Continue Reading Below
- Why should we hire you? – Best Answers
- What are your goals for the future? – Best Answers
- What are your salary requirements? – Best Answers
- Tell me about yourself. – Best Answers
- Who was your best boss and who was the worst? – Best Answers
- What are you passionate about? – Best Answers
- Questions about your supervisors and co-workers. – Best Answers
- Questions about your career goals. – Best Answers