Interview Questions About Good Customer Service
If you are applying for a retail, customer service, or any other position where you have personal contact with consumers, your interviewer will be eager to find out how you would interact and provide them with assistance. A typical job interview question for this type of customer-focused position is What is good customer service?
How to Answer Interview Questions About Good Customer Service
The interviewer wants to know what you consider quality customer service, what good customer service means to you, and how you would be willing to provide it to customers.
In your answer, be prepared to give specific examples of good customer service either from your work experience or from your personal experiences as a consumer. Some elements of customer service you may want to emphasize in your answer are:
- Product awareness: Whether you re talking about books, ads on a website, or a widget, having a thorough knowledge of the company s product is vital for providing strong customer service.
- Attitude: Greeting people with a smile or friendly hello can make a big difference in a retail store, and for any customer service position, a friendly and patient attitude is important.
- Efficiency: Customers value a prompt response.
- Problem-solving: From needing a new shirt for a wedding to requiring a replacement part, customers are looking for assistance, and part of good customer service is fixing problems and answering questions.
Examples of the Best Answers
You can approach answering this question in two ways.
If you’re new to the field, it can be effective to use an example of a time when someone made an impact on you though their superb customer service skills. We’ve all had experiences of good, as well as bad, customer service. Of course, if you have worked in a service industry, it’s best to recount a personal time when you were able to provide service above and beyond what the customer expected.
Here is a selection of sample answers you can tailor for your own use to respond to questions about good customer service.
- Good customer service means having thorough knowledge of your inventory, experience with your products, and being able to help customers make the best choices for them. When I worked at XYZ, I used to spend a few minutes each month looking at the newest products, to make sure I was fully aware of their performance, and could make knowledgeable recommendations to customers.
- Good customer service means helping customers efficiently, in a friendly manner. It’s essential to be able to handle issues for customers and do your best to ensure they are satisfied. Providing good service is one of the most important things that can set your business apart from the others of its kind.
- In my experience, good customer service is always being positive and willing to assist your customers to the best of your ability. I remember one customer in particular, from early in my career, who I spent a tremendous amount of time with, helping to outfit her home office with electronics. She was working with a limited budget, but wanted to start with quality merchandise she could add to as her business grew. She thanked me and took the time to send a note to my supervisor the next day. I don’t think I realized until that point how much people appreciate good customer service.
Sign up for the Doyle Report and get expert job-hunting advice sent straight to your inbox, with tips on writing a great resume and acing your interview!
- Good customer service involves giving customers a good first impression of the business, with a friendly greeting and helpful attitude, as well as a lasting good impression. Determining the customer s needs and solving problems quickly will lead to satisfied return customers.
Review the most common questions you re likely to get during an interview for a retail position, so you can have an idea of how to respond.
From being a good listener to being able to stay positive (even when dealing with cranky customers), discover the ten interpersonal skills that make people in customer service positions shine.
Review more common retail and customer service interview questions and sample answers.
Questions you ll be asked when interviewing, how to prepare answers to interview questions, along with sample answers to typical job interview questions.